Midair collission WK Benalla (AUS)

Discussieer over (het voorkomen van) ongevallen / Incidenten
Plaats reactie
Jan Ritsma

Midair collission WK Benalla (AUS)

Bericht door Jan Ritsma » 14 jan 2017, 07:49

In de 15 meter klasse heeft een botsing plaats gevonden tussen twee deelnemers. De vliegers konden zich redden met hun parachute. De dag voor de 15 meterklasse is gecanceld.

Francesco

Re: Midair collission WK benalla (aus)

Bericht door Francesco » 14 jan 2017, 11:38

De dag daarvoor twee ASG29 al tegen elkaar met minimale schade.
Zij konden vandaag weer vliegen.

Blauwe thermiek !

Ruud Holswilder

Re: Midair collission WK Benalla (aus)

Bericht door Ruud Holswilder » 14 jan 2017, 13:05

Francesco schreef:De dag daarvoor twee ASG29 al tegen elkaar met minimale schade.
Zij konden vandaag weer vliegen.
Over die eerdere midair wordt niets gemeld op de officiële WGC website.
Je kan de gebeurtenis (Google Earth KMZ file) wel distilleren via de IGC files in het score sheet.

Veiligheid (en dus heel goed uitkijken) is een belangrijk item tijdens een wedstrijd meer meer dan 100 kisten.
Sommigen hebben er geen probleem mee om ondanks die enorme drukte nog te filmen vanuit de losse hand zoals deze Australische deelnemer laat zien in dit filmpje.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etG36q5hYN0&t=27s

Nu blijkt dat juist hij betrokken was bij de midair van 14 januari. Hopelijk was hij op dat moment niet aan het filmen...
Ik denk dat de wedstrijdleiding er goed aan zou doen om het filmen vanuit de losse hand te ontmoedigen i.p.v. belonen met publicatie op hun YouTube kanaal.

Webmaster
Site Admin

Re: Midair collission WK Benalla (AUS)

Bericht door Webmaster » 15 jan 2017, 05:13

Officiele bekendmaking WK website:
Saturday 14 January
Mid-air both pilots accounted for and OK
Due to a midair collision while on task between two gliders in the 15 M Class, the day for 15 M has been cancelled. Both pilots are accounted for and OK. The pilots involved are Stehpen O'Donnell from Australia and Michale Eisele from Germany. The accident is being investigated and we will issue more information as soon as we are able to.

Sunday 15 Jan
We are now glad to be able to confirm that both Steve O'Donnell and Michael Eisele are OK and recovering from minor injuries. They were taken to hospital but are expected to out today.
Een bericht van de Duitse vlieger vanuit het ziekenhuis:
Michael “Michi” Eisele has send info from his room in the hospital in Canberra where they brought him.
“Hello all, thank you for the best wishes , I am in Hospital in Canberra. Looking at the circumstances I am pretty well.Shinbone fracture due to the landing with the parachute and it will be operated at 9 tomorrow. I hope it works out well and that I can leave the hospital on Monday again. Thank you to the guardian angels!!!”
Ooggetuigeverslag:
(Everyone is ok)
Easily my worst ever day gliding. After a good start, I lost a very expensive bugwiper and one of my wings started leaking badly, but I still managed to keep it rolling and was having an excellent day at the top of the gaggle.
On the last leg a few gliders ahead took a couple of searching turns in something weak, and the gaggle went for the pullup as the last few were rolling out. I instinctively tightened my straps and identified my canopy release as I often do when things get uncomfortable and right in front of me a wing(?) went through a tailboom(?) and I watched the former spiral to the ground and disintegrate while the latter looped all the way to the ground. After what felt like hours I saw one parachute followed by another parachute, then lost track of both of them avoiding other gliders. I called my team captain and sent coordinates to the organizers, then tried to communicate with my teammates to get back together. After a short while of not hearing from my teammate Steve I realised what had happened - Steve was one of the gliders.
Other gliders were now calling both pilots were motionless on the ground, so I started to descend to land next to them, and informed my TC of my jntentions, only to be told the race was not going to be cancelled! I spent some time weighing up what to do before hearing both pilots were up and walking, so I proceeded on task. A short while later we heard the task was in fact going to be cancelled, so I flew my most miserable 130km to home, hearing near the end that Steve was all ok and on the way to hospital for observation.
There were a lot of people flying like maniacs today (hard push/pull flying), but Steve wasn't one of them. (And the other bloke wasn't either, that I saw) Hope you're doing ok Steve!
For additional salt in the wound, we were flying exceptionally well today, likely contenders for the top.
I can't wait for the start rules to change (to interval gates). I don't think I'm flying another high level comp until they do.

Webmaster
Site Admin

Re: Midair collission WK Benalla (AUS)

Bericht door Webmaster » 15 jan 2017, 11:48

Benalla on Sunday January 15!
Filed under: Uncategorized — ritz @ 7:58 pm
It feels for me,….. like a WGC NOT FLOWN in Australia. This weather!!?? But what can you do?
Another cancelled day, though all pilots were sent to the field.
Tasks were set but after a forecast of blue thermals , 1 to 1.5 lift and postponed first launches,… they all could go back to their swimming pool again and hopefully think about the solution HOW TO AVOID in the future mid airs!
For some who feel a bit scared , very understandable, now another rest-day to relax.
For TC’s and official’s MORE talking to get our beautiful sport SAFE/SAVER!!!

My late blog yesterday was about the glorious win of Stephen O’Donnell on day 5 in 1987. The same Steve who had to bail out yesterday. Thank god for parachutes.
Here is the comment from Steve and a picture they shared.
“As most of you are aware I was involved in a mid air collision on task while racing yesterday. Due to the amazing care and kindness of emergency services and Yerong creek locals, Michael (the German pilot) and I were air lifted from the crash site to Canberra hospital where we are undergoing treatment.

I have been overwhelmed by the care, kindness and good wishes of so many… my dedicated and loving family, my loyal friends and flying colleagues.
Here is a photo of two very thankful pilots sharing an experience that neither of us will ever forget.
Thank you all…”
Afbeelding
With Michael in bed and Steve on his side.So good to see them smiling!!!
In between Michael’s wife has been flown over from Germany and she will be with him after the operation today, as Michael hopes to be out of hospital tomorrow ….?

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Plaats reactie